Relationship Between Peroneal Tendons and Anterior Talofibular Ligament
- Anterior talofibular ligament, Peroneal tendons, Ankle sprain, Peroneus longus, Peroneus brevis, Cadaveric study.
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Background: Anterior talofibular ligament (ATFL) injuries are the most common in ankle torsional injuries. ATFL and peroneal tendons are both important stabilizers of lateral ankle joint. We aimed to evaluate peroneal tendons and ATFL.
Methods: Fifteen nonpaired leg of fresh frozen cadavers were assessed in this study. After harvesting, ATFL diameters were measured at three points by calipers, these are fibular side, intermediate side and talar side. The mean of these three measurements were assessed and tissue a 15 lb load was applied to the peroneal tendons for 10 minutes, and the transverse diameters were measured by folding the thickest part of the tendon in a double-strand.
Results: 5 single bundle, 8 double-bundle and 2 three bundles of ATFL were obtained after dissection. . There was no correlation between ATFL diameter, peroneus longus, peroneus brevis and total tendon diameters of peroneus longus and peroneus brevis in women (p> 0.05). A strong correlation was found between ATFL diameter, peroneus longus (r: 0.95), peroneus brevis (r: 0.81) and total tendon diameters of peroneus longus and peroneus brevis (r: 0.92) in men.
Conclusion: Relationship between the diameter of the ATFL and peroneal tendons diameters were evaluated and a correlation was observed in males, while no correlation was observed in females.
- Olmsted L.C., Vela L.I., Denegar C.R., Hertel J. Prophylactic ankle taping and bracing: a numbers-needed-to-treat and cost-benefit analysis. J Athl Train. 2004;39(1):95–100. .
- Staples OS. Ruptures of the fibular collateral ligaments of the ankle: result study of immediate surgical treatment. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1975;57:101–107. .
- Smith RW, Reischl SF. Treatment of ankle sprains in young athletes. Am J Sports Med. 1986;14:465–471. . .
- Edama M, Kageyama I, Kikumoto T, Nakamura M, Ito W, Nakamura et al.Morphological Features of the Anterior Talofibular Ligament by the Number of Fiber Bundles. Ann Anat.2018:216, 69-74.
- Gosselin MM, Haynes JA, McCormick JJ, Johnson JE, Klein SE. The Arterial Anatomy of the Lateral Ligament Complex of the Ankle: A Cadaveric Study. Am J Sports Med. 2019 Jan;47(1):138-143. . .
- Van PADD, Lubberts B., Verheul C., DiGiovanni CW, Kerkhoffs GMMJ.Rehabilitation after surgical treatment of peroneal tendon tears and ruptures. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2016; 24: 1165–1174.
- Scott W.N. The knee, volume 1. Mosby Inc.; Saint Louis MO: 1994. .
- Bekerom MPJ, Kerkhoffs GMMJ, McCollum G, J Calder JDF,van Dijk CN.Management of Acute Lateral Ankle Ligament Injury in the Athlete. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc:2013:21 (6), 1390-5.
- Zhang MY, Xu C, Li KH.Finite Element Analysis of Nonanatomic Tenodesis Reconstruction Methods of Combined Anterior Talofibular Ligament and Calcaneofibular Ligament Deficiency. Foot Ankle Int:2011- 32 (10), 1000-8.
- Wilkerson R., Mason M.A.Differences in Men’s and Women’s Mean Ankle Ligamentous Laxity. Iowa Orthop J. 2000; 20: 46–48.
- Leroux T, Wasserstein D, Veillette C, Khoshbin A, Henry P, Chahal J, Austin P, Mahomed N, Ogilvie-Harris D. Epidemiology of primary anterior shoulder dislocation requiring closed reduction in Ontario, Canada.Am J Sports Med. 2014 Feb;42(2):442-50.
- Sutton KM, Bullock JM.Anterior cruciate ligament rupture: differences between males and females. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2013 Jan;21(1):41-50. .
- McCann RS, Kosik KB, Terada M, Beard MQ, Buskirk GE, Gribble PA.ACUTE LATERAL ANKLE SPRAIN PREDICTION IN COLLEGIATE WOMEN’S SOCCER PLAYERS. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2018 Feb;13(1):12-18.
- Angthong C, Chernchujit B, Apivatgaroon A, Chaijenkit K, Nualon P, Suchao-in K. The Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction with the Peroneus Longus Tendon: A Biomechanical and Clinical Evaluation of the Donor Ankle Morbidity. J Med Assoc Thai. 2015;98(. 6):555-560.
- Burks RT, Morgan J Anatomy of the lateral ankle ligaments. Am J Sport Med 1994:22:72–77. .
- Davda K, Malhotra K,O’Donnell P, Singh D,CullenN.Peroneal tendon disorders. EFORT Open Rev. 2017 Jun; 2(6): 281–292.
- Raheem OA, O’Brien M.Anatomical review of the lateral collateral ligaments. Anat Sci Int (2011) 86:189–193.
- Ugurlu, M., Bozkurt, M., Demirkale, I., Comert, A., Acar, H.I., Tekdemir, I., Anatomy of the lateral complex of the ankle joint in relation to peroneal tendons, distal fibula and talus:. a cadaveric study. Eklem hastaliklari ve cerrahisi = Joint diseases . & related surgery 2010:21,153-158.
- Milner, C.E., Soames, R.W., Anatomical variations of the anterior talofibular ligament. of the human ankle joint. Journal of anatomy 1997. 191 ( Pt 3), 457-458.
- Delfaut, E.M., Demondion, X., Boutry, N., Cotten, H., Mestdagh, H., Cotten, A., Multi-fasciculated anterior talo-fibular ligament: reassessment of normal findings. European. radiology2003. 13, 1836-1842.
- Y?lmaz B, Özdemir G, Keskinöz EN, Tümentemur G, Gökku? K, Demiralp B. Comparing Dimensions of Four-Strand Hamstring Tendon Grafts with Native Anterior and Posterior Cruciate Ligaments. Biomed Res Int. 2016;2016:3795367. .
- Brushøj, C., Henriksen, B. M., Albrecht-Beste, E., Hölmich, P., Larsen, K., & Bachmann Nielsen, M. Reproducibility of ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging measurements of tendon size. Acta Radiologica,2006: 47(9), 954-959.