RESULTS OF OPEN REDUCTION INTERNAL FIXATION OF DISPLACED INTRAARTICULAR CALCANEUS FRACTURE WITH LOCKING PLATE
- open reduction internal fixation, displaced intraarticular calcaneus fracture, locking plate
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Introduction: One of the most common foot fractures, fracture calcaneum, whenever has displacement of articular surface, is treated operatively. Various modes of treatment are used for the same. Non operative treatment in severe cases has been associated with poor result.
Material and methods: The study included 43 prospective and retrospective cases in 38 patients of intra-articular calcaneal fractures treated operatively with open reduction and internal fixation with locking plate using the standard lateral approach. The patients were assessed radiologically and for functional outcome as per AOFAS (American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Score) score.
Results: 43 fractures in 38 patients were included in our study between19 to 62 years of age with mean age in our study between 38.53±11.17. 79% patients were males and 21% were females. Sander’s type of fracture pattern affected the complications following surgery. There was no influence of complications following surgery over final AOFAS score.
Conclusion: Careful patient selection, preoperative planning, appropriate timing for surgery, proper approach for raising full thickness flaps and accurate anatomic reduction gives a good functional outcome.
- Saurabh J, Anil Kumar J, Ish K. Outcome of open reduction and internal fixation of In-tra-articular calcaneal fracture fixed with locking calcaneal plate. Chinese Journal of Traumatology 2013;16(6):355-360.
- Sarrafian SK. Anatomy of the foot and ankle. Philadelphia: Lippincott;1993.
- Soeur R, Remy R. Fractures of the calcaneus with displacement of the thalamic portion. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1975; 57:413– 21.
- Harty M. Anatomic consideration in injuries of ta. he calcaneus. Orthop Clin North Am 1973; 4:179– 83.
- Kearns R. Thomson, Carl M. Friesen. Treatment of comminuted fractures of the calcaneus by primary triple arthrodesis. The journal of bone and joint surgery 1959, Volume 41- A, No.8: 1423-1436.
- Allan J. H. The Open reduction of fractures of the os calcis. Ann. Surg1955;141 :890-900.
- Allison, Nathaniel. Timirtieth report of progress in orthopedic surgery. Arch. Surg, 1926;13:445-458.
- Bell, Charles. Statistics of operations in Mr. Bell’s Wards: Compound fracture of os calcis. Edin-burgh Med. J., 1882;27:1-100.
- Sander’s R, Fortin P, DiPasquale A, et al. Op-erative treatment in 120 displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures. Results using a prognostic computed tomographic scan classification. Clin Orthop,1993; 290:87– 95.
- Thore. O. Os calcis fractures. Acta Orthop. Scand. 1964;70(Suppl.):1.
- Stephenson J.R. Treatment of displaced in-tra-articular fractures of calcanem using medial and lateral approaches, internal fixation and early motion. J. Bone Jont Surg, 1987;69A:115.
- 14. Sander’s R. Current concepts review dis-placed intra-articular fractures of the calcaneus. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery February 2000;Volume. 82-A, No.2:225-250.
- Trevor Gaskill, Karl Schweitzer, and James Nunley. Comparison of surgical outcomes of in-tra-articular calcaneal fractures by age. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, December 2010; Volume 92-A, No.18:2884-2889.
- Athavale SA, Joshi SD, Joshi SS. Internal ar-chitecture of calcaneus: correlations with me-chanics and pathoanatomy of calcaneal fractures. Surg Radiol Anat. 2010; 32:115-22.
- Barla J, Buckley R, McCormack R, Pate G, Leighton R, Petrie D, Galpin R. Canadian Or-thopaedic Trauma Society. Displaced intraartic-ular calcaneal fractures: longterm outcome in women. Foot Ankle Int. 2004; 25:853-6.
- Clare MP, Lee WE, Sander’s RW. Intermediate to long-term results of a treatment protocol for calcaneal fracture malunions. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2005; 87:963-73.
- John D. Maskill, Donald R. Bohay, John G. Anderson. Calcaneus fractures: A review article. Foot Ankle Clinics 2005, (10): 463– 489.
- A. K. Singh, K. Vinay. Surgical treatment of displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures: is bone grafting necessary. J orthopaed traumatol. 2013; 14:299-305.
- Cheng-Jung Ho, Hsuan-Ti Huang, Chung-Hwan Chen, Jian-Chih Chen. Open reduction and in-ternal fixation of acute intra-articular displaced calcaneal fractures: A retrospective analysis of surgical timing and infection rates. Injury, Int. J. Care Injured.2013;44:1007-1010.
- A. Siebe De Boer, Esther M.M. Van Lieshout, Dennis Den Hartog. Functional outcome and pa-tient satisfaction after displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures: a comparison among open, percutaneous, and nonoperative treatment. The Journal of Foot & Ankle Surgery.2015;54: 298-305.
- Vaclav Rak, Daniel Ira, Michal Masek. Operative treatment of intra-articular calcaneal fractures with calcaneal plates and its complications. IJO. July – September 2009; Volume 43, Issue 3:271-280.
- Attilio Basile. Operative versus nonoperative treatment of displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures in elderly patients. The Journal of Foot & Ankle Surgery.2010;49:25-32.
- Phinit Phisitkul, Jaron P. Sullivan, Jessica E. Goetz. Maximizing safety in screw placement for posterior facet fixation in calcaneus fractures. Foot & Ankle International.2013;34(9):1279-1285.
- Per-Henrik A° gren, Per Wretenberg, and Arkan S. Sayed-Noor. Operative versus nonoperative treatment of displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Am.2013; 95:1351-7.
- Surender Kumar, Loveneesh G. Krishna, Davinder Singh. Evaluation of functional out-come and complications of locking calcaneum plate for fracture calcaneum. Journal of clinical orthopaedics and trauma.2015;6:147-152.