Single stitch Open interval appendectomy; when and why
- single stitch, interval appendectomy, classical, laparoscopic
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Appendicitis is a very common cause of acute abdomen. Most of the patient admit in surgical emergency. Diagnosis usually made clinically, sonography sometimes may be helpful. Regarding management there is still controversy exists. Developed country usually performed laparoscopy appendectomy while in developing country surgical management is still in debate. Different surgeons have different opinion either emergency open or laparoscopy appendectomy or interval appendectomy. Even in open appendectomy there is still debate between classical procedure vs small incision. This study favors single stitch surgery rather than classical and laparoscopy appendectomy. this case study supports even better cosmetic and outcome than laparoscopy appendectomy.
- C. McBurney, “The incision made in the abdominal wall in cases of appendicitis, with a description of a new method of operating,” Annals of Surgery, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 38–43,1894.
- K. Semm, “Endoscopic appendectomy,” Endoscopy, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 59–64, 1983.
- G. S. Litynski, “Kurt Semm and the fight against skepticism: endoscopic hemostasis laparoscopic appendectomy, and Semm’s impact on the “laparoscopic revolution”,” Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 309–313, 1998.
- S. Sauerland, R. Lefering, and E. A. Neugebauer, “Laparoscopic versus open surgery for suspected appendicitis,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 4, Article ID CD001546, 2004
- H. Ellis, L.K. Nathanson Appendix and appendectomy M.J. Zinner, S.I. Schwartz, H. Ellis (Eds.), Maingot’s abdominal operations (10th ed.), Appleton & Lange (1997), pp. 1191-1225
- C.M. Whitworth, P.W. Whitworth, J. Sanfillipo, H. Polk Value of diagnostic laparoscopy in young women with possible appendicitis Surg Gynecol Obstet, 167 (1988), pp. 187-190
- Sauerland S, Lefering R, Neugebauer E. Laparoscopic versus open surgery for suspected appendicitis. The Cochrane Collaboration. 2007;4:1-74.
- L.E. McCahill, C. Pellegrini, T. Wiggins, W.S. Helton A clinical outcome and cost analysis of laparoscopic versus open appendectomy Am J Surg, 171 (1996), pp. 533-537
- Azaro EM, Amaral PC, Ettinger JE, Souza EL, Fortes MF, Alcantarag RS, et al. Laparoscopic versus open appendicectomy: A comparative study. JSLS. 1999;3(4):279-83.
- Kamal M, Qureshi KH. Laparoscopic versus open appendectomy. Pak J Med Res. 2003;42:23–6.
- Mantoglu B, Karip B, Mestan M, ?scan Y, Agca B, Altun H, et al. Should appendectomy be performed laparoscopically? Clinical prospective randomized trial. Ulus Cerrahi Derg. 2015;31:224-8
- Ciftci F. Laparoscopic vs mini-incision open appendectomy. World J Gastrointest Surg. 2015;7(10):267-72.
- Oravsky M, Bak V, Schnorrer M. Laparoscopic versus open appendectomy in treatment of acute appendicitis. Bratisl Lek Listy. 2014;115:660–662.