SYNGAP1 Mutation in absence Epilepsy with eyelid myoclonia: A Literature Overview and A Case Report from Qatar
- SYNGAP1; Epilepsy, Pediatric
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Background: SYNGAP1, which encodes a RAS-GTPase-activating protein, is located on the short arm of chromosome 6.Mutations of the SYNGAP1 gene were first identified in 2009 in patients with nonsyndromic intellectual disability (ID) acquired microcephaly, and autism spectrum disorder (ASD), followed in 2013 by recognition of their important role in the developmental and epileptic encephalopathies (DEEs). Developmental delay was identified soon after birth in the majority of patients and pre-ceded seizure onset in all. Development regressed or plateaued with seizure onset were observed. Language was severely impaired together with intellectual disabilities and some other features (1, 4).Most affected individuals have de novo mutations, with truncating mutations predominating, although missense mutations, chromosomal translocations, or microdeletions disrupting SYNGAP1 are also described. (1,5).
- Danique R.M. Vlaskamp, MD, Benjamin J. Shaw, MD, Rosemary Burgess, PhD et al . SYNGAP1 encephalopathy, A distinctive generalized developmental and epileptic encephalopathy. Neurology. 2019 Jan 8; 92(2): e96–e107.
- Jeavons PM. Nosological problems of myoclonic epilepsies in childhood and adolescence. Dev Med Child Neurol 1977;19:3–8. [PubMed] [Google Scholar].
- Doose H, Gerken H, Leonhardt R, Völzke E, Völz C. Centrencephalic myoclonic-astatic petit mal: clinical and genetic investigation. Neuropadiatrie 1970;2:59–78. [PubMed] [Google Scholar].
- Hamdan FF, Gauthier J, Spiegelman D, et al. . Mutations in SYNGAP1 in autosomal nonsyndromic mental retardation. N Engl J Med 2009;360:599–605. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Google Scholar].
- Celina von Stülpnagel 1 , Claudia Funke, SYNGAP1 Mutation in Focal and Generalized Epilepsy: A Literature Overview and A Case Report with Special Aspects of the EEG. Neuropediatrics . 2015 Aug;46(4):287-91. doi: 10.1055/s-0035-1554098. Epub 2015 Jun 25
- Mignot C, von Stülpnagel C, Nava C, et alGenetic and neurodevelopmental spectrum of SYNGAP1-associated intellectual disability and epilepsy Journal of Medical Genetics 2016;53:511-522cv