Delayed traumatic cardiac tamponade: An extremely rare sequela of blunt trauma
- Delayed traumatic cardiac tamponade; Sequela of blunt trauma
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
To our knowledge, there have been minimal information on the delayed traumatic cardiac tamponade, which is an extremely rare but a life-threatening condition if not treated promptly. We present a 25-year-old female who had cardiac tamponade of delayed onset after a motor vehicle crash. It was found on a computed tomography scan of the chest, and confirmed on subsequent echocardiography. Urgent operation of creation of pericardial window was performed. She made a good recovery after the operative intervention. The current report emphasises the importance of having high index of suspicion in patients with non-penetrating multi-trauma with careful observation and appropriate investigations.
- Maenza RL, Seaberg D, D’Amico F. A me-ta-analysis of blunt cardiac trauma: ending myocardial confusion. American Journal of Emergency Medicine 1996;14(1):237-241.
- Tsugu T, Nagatomo Y, Tanigawa T, Endo J, Itabashi Y, Murata M, et al. Delayed hemoperi-cardium due to non penetrating chest trauma: a report of new case and literature review. Journal of Medical Ultrasonics 2019;46(1):159-162.
- Solomon D. Delayed cardiac tamponade after blunt chest trauma: case report. J Trauma. 1991; 31:1322–4.
- Fitzgerald M, Spencer J, Johnson F, Marasco S, Atkin C, Kossmann T. Definitive management of acute cardiac tamponade secondary to blunt trauma. Emerg Med Australas 2005;17(5-6): 494-499.
- Mohamed S, Osman A, Patea A, Mazhar K, Srinivasan L, Balacumaraswami L. Delayed car-diac tamponade following blunt chest trauma due to disruption of fourth costal cartilage with posterior dislocation. Trauma Case Reports 2020;29(100340):1-4.
- Jones LB, Lome B. Delayed Cardiac Tamponade Following Blunt Chest Trauma. Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal 2006;28 (4):275-283.
- Tsang TS, Oh JK, Seward JB. Diagnosis and management of cardiac tamponade in the era of echocardiography. Clinical Cardiology 1999;22 (1):446-452.