A challenging diagnosis in a patient with Odynophagia
- Retropharyngeal abscess; Odynophagia; Tuberculosis
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Tuberculous retropharyngeal abscesses are rare but potentially life-threatening manifestations of tuberculosis. We present herein a case of an 18-year-old male patient, a migrant from Somalia, accusing fever, odynophagia and neck pain. CT scan and MRI study of the neck showed a retropharyngeal and prevertebral abscess from C1 to D1 with the involvement of epidural space and spondylitis. Resolution of the abscess with few signs of residual spondylitis was achieved after surgical evacuation and antitubercular treatment.
- ECDC, Tuberculosis surveillance and monito- ring in Europe, 2019.
- Quian X, Albers AE et al. Head and neck tuber-culosis: literature review and meta-analysis. Tu-berculosis, 2019; 116: S78-S88.
- Fang D, Leong JC, Fang HS. Tuberculosis of the upper cervical spine. J Bone Joint Surg Br, 1983; 65:47-50.
- Mizumura K, Machino T, Sato Y et al. Tuberculous retropharyngeal abscess associated with spinal tuberculosis well controlled by fine-needle aspi-ration and anti-tuberculous chemotherapy. Inter Med 2010; 49:1155-1158. DOI: 10.2169/internalmedicine.49.3353.
- Nalini B, Vinayak S. Tuberculosis in ear, nose and throat practice: its presentation and diag- nosis. Am J Otolaryngol, 2006; 27:39-45.
- Alazigha N, Oghu DS, Oyan BO et al. Primary tuberculous retropharygeal abscess. Advances in Applied Science Research, 2020; (11) 1:1. DOI: 10.36648/0976-8610.11.1.1
- Kamath MP, Bhojwani KM, Kamath SU et al. Tu-berculous retropharyngeal abscess. Ear Nose Throat J, 2007; 86:236-237.
- Hsu HE, Chen CY. Tuberculous retropharyngeal
- a. bscess with Pott disease and tuberculous abscess of the chest wall. A case report. Medicine, 2019; 98:27 (e16280).
- Zahedi FD, Husain S, Primuharsa Putra Sabir Husin Athar. Oropharyngeal and hypopharynx- geal tuberculosis with consequence of intestinal tuberculosis. International Medical Journal, 2016; 23(3): 296-297.
- Dadgarnia MH, Baradaranfar MH, Yazdani N et al. Oropharyngeal tuberculosis:an unusual pre- sen-tation. Acta Medica Iranica 2008; 46(6): 521-524.
- Kakisi OK, Kechagia AS, Kakisis IK et al. Tuber-culosis of the oral cavity: a systemic review. Eur J Oral Sci 2010; 118: 103-109.
- Vaid S, Lee YPP et al. Tuberculosis in the head and neck – forgotten differential diagnosis. Clin-ical Radiology 2010; 65: 73-81.
- Christoforidou A, Metallidis S, Kollaras P et al. Tuberculous retropharyngeal abscess as a cause of oropharyngeal dysphagia. Am J Oto- laryngol 2012; 33: 272-274.
- Pang P, Duan W, Liu S et al. Clinical study of tuberculosis in the head and neck region—11 years’ experience and a review of the literature. Emerging Microbes and Infections, 2018; 7:4.
- Mouhsine A, Temsamani H, Belkouch A et al. Pharyngeal tuberculosis: report of 5 cases. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 2016; 67 (3): 162-6. DOI: 10.1016/j.otorri.2015.05.004.
- Shumy F, Mursel Anam A, Chowdhury MAJ et al. Multifocal extensive spinal tuberculosis with ret-ropharyngeal abscess. BSMMU J 2011; 4: 128-130.
- Thomas K, Gupta M, Gaba S et al. Tubercular retropharyngeal abscess with Pott’s disease in an elderly male patient. Cureus, 2020; 12(5):e8256. DOI 10.7759/cureus.8256