PSYCHIC DIAGNOSIS OF THE FAMILY CAREGIVER OF THE ALZHEIMER: CASE STUDY OF A BASIC HEALTH UNIT
- Emotions, Alzheimer’s disease, caregivers.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Introduction: Alzheimer’s disease (AD) is a chronic degenerative disease that compromises the physical, mental and social integrity of the elderly, and therefore leads to an increasing dependence on care, and almost always linked to family dynamics and performed at home. Objectives: The main objective of this research is to analyze the daily lives of family caregivers of patients with AD. Methodology: The qualitative approach was used. Data were collected in the municipality of Tamandaré/PE, through semi-structured interviews with ten family caregivers of patients with Alzheimer’s disease. In addition to the interview, a structured questionnaire with closed-ended questions was applied, referring to the general and personal characteristics of each interviewee. For data analysis, the verbatim reports were fully transcribed, where relevant aspects were observed and organized into two categories: impact of diagnosis and challenges in caring. Results: The results showed that all coexistence and adaptation to this new reality modify the style and quality of life of those involved. The changes are significant and need to be understood and incorporated into the family routine. Negative emotional reactions involving impotence, fear and anger are common, besides a deep feeling of injustice. Conclusion: The study showed the need for assistance that includes all affected family members. The nurse should support and contribute to overcoming the difficulties faced from the moment of diagnosis to the most advanced stages of the disease.
- Santiago RS. Contemporary family law: constitutionalised family entity. Inter. Cient. 2013 fevereiro [access: 26 maio 2018]; v.1 (21): [57-66]. Available from: https://periodicos.set.edu.br/index.php/direito/article/viewFile/415/225
- Brasil MS. Ageing and health of the elderly person. 1ª edição. BVS Ministério da Saúde. Editora MS; 2007. Available from: http://bvsms.saude.gov.br/bvs/publicacoes/abcad19.pdf
- Colomé ICS, Marqui ABT, Jahn AC, Resta DG, Carli R, Winck MT et al. Caring for institutionalized elderly: characteristics and difficulties of caregivers. Rev. Elet. de Enferm. 2011 [access: 09 março 2019]; v. 13 (2): [306-312]. Available from: https://www.fen.ufg.br/revista/v13/n2/v13n2a17.htm
- Nascimento LC, Moraes ER, Silva JC, Veloso LC, Vale ARMC. Elderly caregiver: knowledge available in the LILACS database. Rev. Bras. de Enferm. 2008 [access: 09 março 2019]; v.61 (4): [514-517]. Available from: http://www.scielo.br/pdf/reben/v61n4/19.pdf
- Ximenes MA, Rico BLD, Pedreira RQ.Alzheimer’s disease: addiction and care. Rev. Kairós Geront., 2014 [access: 22 novembro 2018]; v. 17 (2): [121-140]. Available from: https://revistas.pucsp.br/index.php/kairos/article/viewFile/21630/15877
- Galvão AM. Alzheimer’s Dementia [Polytechnic Institute of Braganza]. IPB, Bragança: Esc Sup Saúde; 2011 [access: 21 maio 2018]. Available from: https://bibliotecadigital.ipb.pt/bitstream/10198/12792/1/Dem%C3%AAncia%20de%20Alzheimer.pdf
- Associação BA. Care of the family caregiver [Brazilian Alzheimer’s Association]. São Paulo: ABRAZ; 2010 [access: 22 novembro 2018]. Available from: http://abraz.org.br/web/orientacao-a-cuidadores/cuidados-com-o-familiar-cuidador/o-estresse-do-cuidador/
- Valim MD, Damasceno DD, Abi-acl LC, Garcia F, Fava SMCL. Alzheimer’s disease in the caregiver’s vision: a case study. Rev. Elet. de Enferm., 2010 [access: 05 junho 2018]; v.12 (3): [528-534]. Available from: https://www.fen.ufg.br/revista/v12/n3/v12n3a16.htm