The Wellbeing of the Heterogeneous Older Persons: The Analysis of ‘Going in Style’ Gereontological Comedy Film and Real-life Malaysian Elderly
- older person, wellbeing, gerontology, multidimensional
How to Cite
While ageing has become a global phenomenon and received prominent attention due to the rapid increase in the older population, including Malaysia; There has also been an increase in comedy films focusing on old people. Therefore, this study aims to analyse how older persons represented in a gerontological comedy film ‘Going in Style’. This study also aims to relate how older persons represented in this comedy film with real-life situations of Malaysian older people. In meeting these aims, a qualitative research approach through thematic analysis has been adopted. The findings of this study shows how the older person represented in ‘Going in Style’ is similar to real-life situations experienced by some of Malaysian older people. The comedy highlights that ageing is not a single dimensional concept concentrated on physical aspects but is multidimensional, consisting of social,psychological, spiritual and economic and environmental aspects.
- Abdul Hamid, T. A. (2019). Ageing in Malaysia – Expert Group Meeting on Measuring Population Ageing: Bridging Research and Policy. Retrieved from https://www. un.org/en/development/desa/population/events/pdf/expert/29/session3/EGM_25Feb2019_S3_TengkuAizanHamid.pdf
- Abdul Hamid, T. A. (2015). Population ageing in Malaysia: A mosaic of issues, challenges, and prospects. Serdang, Selangor: University Putra Malaysia Press.
- Abdul Rashid, S., Ab. Ghani, P., Daud, N., Ab Ghani Hilmi, Z., Nor Azemi, S. N. A., Syed Wahid, S. N., & Razak, M. R. (2016). Malaysia’s Ageing Population Trends. In M. Abdullah, W. Yahya, N. Ramli, S. Mohamed, & B. Ahmad (Eds.), Regional Conference on Science, Technology and Social Sciences (RCSTSS 2014). Singapore: Springer.
- Abd Samad, S., & Mansor, N. (2013). Population ageing and social protection in Malaysia. Malaysian Journal of Economic Studies, 50(2), 139-156.
- Adnan, A. S. (2017, April 25). Malaysia bakal dipenuhi warga tua miskin dan sakit. Berita Harian Online. Retrieved from https://www.bharian.com.my/node/27571 5
- Anderson, C. A., Carnagey, N. L., Eubanks, J. (2003). Exposure to violent media: The effects of songs with violent lyrics on aggressive thoughts and feelings. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 84, 960–971.
- Al-Nakeeb, Y., Lyons, M., Dodd, L. J., & Al-Nuaim, A. (2015). An investigation into the lifestyle, health habits and risk factors of young adults. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 12, 4380-4394.
- Atrokiasamy, J. T. (1997). Social problems and care of the elderly. Medical Journal Malaysia, 52(3), 197-201.
- Autchariya, P., Suchitporn, L., & Supawadee, P. (2019). Active ageing level and time use of elderly persons in a Thai suburban community. Occupational Therapy International. doi:10.1155/2019/7092695
- Aziz, N. A. & Ahamd, Y. (2017). The quality of life of aging population: A study among older person who received long term care services at old folks’ home, Penang. Journal of Administrative Science, 14(3).
- Bidin, A. & Mohd Yusoff, J. Z. (2015). Abuse of the Malaysian elderly: An analysis on the
- adequacy and suitability of the Domestic Violence Act 1994 (Act 521) to protect the elderly victim. Journal of Management Research, 7(2), 71-81.
- Briandana, R. & Dwityas, N. A. (2018). Comedy Films as Social Representation in the Society: An Analysis of Indonesian Comedy Films, International Journal of Humanities & Social Science Studies, IV(V), 107-118.
- Brown, R. L. (2011). Economic security in an aging Canadian population. Canadian Journal on Aging, 30(3), 391-399.
- Christina, C., & Yuen, M. (2017, February 5). All the single ladies. The Star Online. Retrieved from http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2017/02/05/all-the-single-ladies-with-a-bigger-percentage-of-single-women-in-malaysia-today-sunday-star-celebra/
- Devasahayam, T. W. (2014). Gender and ageing: Southeast Asian perspectives. Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies.
- Doris, P. S., Idris, N. A., & Abu Bakar, N. (2010). Warga emas di Malaysia: Ke arah kesejahteraan ekonomi dan social. Bangi: UKM Press.
- Georgakopoulou, A. (2000). On the sociolinguistics of popular films: Funny characters, funny voices. Journal of Modern Greek Studies, 18(1), 119–133.
- Gerbner, G., & Gross, L. (1976). Living with television: The violence profile. Journal of
- Communication, 26(2), 173-199.
- Hadeel, H., Synneve, D. I., Ulla, S., & Carin, W. (2018). Perspective of older adults on aging well: A focus group study. Journal of Ageing Research, 1-8. doi:10.1155/20 18/9858252Harun, 2017
- Harun, S. (2017). Warga emas terabai. Retrieved from http://www.myhealth.gov.my /warga-emas-terabai/
- John Siop, S. (2017). Older people health: Issues and challenges. Retrieved from http://www. conference.unimas.my/2017/phs2017/images/download/Topic_6_APDrSidiah.pdf
- Kaimann, D. & Pannicke, J. (2015). Movie success in a genre-specific contest: Evidence from the US film industry. Ilmenau Economics Discussion Papers, No. 98, Technische Universität, Institut für Volkswirtschaftslehre, Ilmenau. Retrieved from https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/142323/1/84418649X.pdf
- Mafauzy, M. (2000). The problems and challenges of the aging population of Malaysia. Malaysian Journal of Medical Science, 7(1), 1-3.
- Masud, J., Abdul Hamid, T. A., & Haron, S. A. (2013). Economic well-being of Malaysian elderly: Inequality amid prosperity. Retrieved from https://www.mier. org.my/presentations/archives/pdf-restore/presentations/archives/pdf/Jariah.pdf
- Mat Saad, Z., Hatta, Z. A., & Mohamad, N. (2010). The impact of spiritual intelligence on the health of the elderly in Malaysia. Asian Social Work and Policy Review, 4, 84–97.
- McDaniel, S. A., & Rozanova, J. (2011). Canada’s Aging Population (1986) Redux. Canadian Journal on Aging, 30(3), 511-521.National Research Council, 2012
- Melissa, C. (2014, October 5). Retirement crisis brewing as EPF savings suggest pensioner poverty. The Malay Mail Online. Retrieved from http://www.themalaymailonline. com/malaysia/article/retirement-crisisbrewing-as-epf-savings-sug gest-pensioner-poverty
- Mohd, S. (2014). Poverty issues among Malaysian elderly. Proceeding of the Social Sciences Research ICSSR 2014. Retrieved from https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org /51ca/e2b4d188f3a4b952ec4848525e31c7dede98.pdf
- Mohd Salleh, M. F. (2017). Ageing in an inclusive society: Social support system for older persons in Malaysia. Retrieved from https://www.kpwkm.gov.my/kpwkm/ uploads/files/Muat%20Turun/MOST/S4_P1_Tuan%20Hj_%20Fazari.pdf
- Momtaz, Y. A., Abdul Hamid, T. A., Haron, S. A., & Bagat, M. F. (2016). Flourishing in later life. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 63, 85-91.
- Muhammad Nur, A., Aljunid, S. M., Ismail, N., Haron, S. A., Shafie, A. A., Mohamed Nor, N., Salleh, M., … Maimaiti, N. (2017). Provider cost of treating dementia among the elderly in government hospitals in Malaysia. Malaysian Journal of Public Health Medicine, 17(2), 121-127.Muneeza & Hashim, 2010).
- National Population and Family Development Board Malaysia. (2016). Fifth Malaysian population and family survey 2014. Kuala Lumpur: National Population and Family Development Board Malaysia.
- Poi, P. J., Forsyth, D. R., & Chan, D. K. Y. (2004). Services for older people in Malaysia: Issues and challenges. Age and Ageing, 33, 444-446.
- Queenan, J. (2017). ‘Contrived, vulgar and stupid’: Going in Style and the rise of the geriatric buddy movie. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/apr/21/geriatri c-buddy-movies-going-in-style-contrived-vulgar-stupid-michael-caine
- Ramely, Ahmad, and Mohamed Harith. (2018a). Socio-demographic characteristics of Malaysian elderly: Which characteristics should be inextricably intertwined with late-life employment? International Journal for Studies on Children, Women, Elderly and Disabled, 5, 47-55.
- Ramely, Ahmad, & Mohamed Harith. (2018b). Understanding Socio-demographic Patterns and Wellbeing Dimensions of the Elderly in Malaysia: The Way Forward in Reaching an Age Nation by 2030, Journal of Administrative Science, 15(1).
- Soriano, C. A. F., Sarmiento, W. D., Songco, F. J. G., Macindo, J. R. B., & Conde, A. R. (2016). Socio-demographics, spirituality, and quality of life among community-dwelling and institutionalized older adults: A structural equation model. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 66, 176-182.
- Springfield. (2017). Going in style 2017 Movie script. Retrieved from https://www.spring fieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=going-in-style-2017
- United Nations. (2015a). World population ageing. Retrieved from http://www.un.org /en/development/desa/population/publications/pdf/ageing/WPA2015_Report.pdf
- United Nations. (2009). World population prospects: The 2008 revision. New York, NY: United Nations. Retrieved from http://esa.un.org/unpp
- Vandaele, J. (2002). Humor Mechanisms in Film Comedy: Incongruity and Superiority.
- Poetics Today, 23(2), 221–249.
- Westley, S. B., Sang-Hyop, L., & Mason, A. (2000). Policy options to support Asia’s growing elderly population: Asia-Pacific Population & Policy. Honolulu: East-West Center. Retrieved from https://www.eastwestcenter.org/node/33420
- Yahaya, N., Momtaz, Y. A., Othman, M., Sulaiman, N. & Mat Arisah, F. (2012). Spiritual well-being and mental health among Malaysian adolescents. Life Science Journal, 9(1), 440-448.
- Yusof, S. N., & Zulkifli, Z. (2014). Rethinking of old age: The emerging challenge for Malaysia. Paper presented at International Conference on Linguistics, Literature and Arts. Retrieved from https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/85db/bb4a51c524dd 9ce4185c626e136c8ae15152.pdf
- Zaid, S. M., Abu Yamin, A., & Mohd Yaacob, N. (2019). Ageing in place: The design practice compliance to accessibility legislation and standards in Malaysia for eldery home environment. Ekoloji, Online-First Article, e107027, 1-12.
- Zawawi, R. (2013). Active ageing in Malaysia. Retrieved from http://www.mhlw.go .jp/stf/shingi/2r98520000036yla-att/2r98520000036yql.pdf
- Zillmann, D. (2000). The coming of media entertainment. In D. Zillmann & P. Vorderer (Eds.), Media entertainment: The psychology of its appeal (p. 1–20). Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers.
- Zimmer, Z., Jagger, C., Chiu, C, Ofstedal, M. B., & Saito, Y. (2016). Spirituality, religiosity, aging and health in global perspective: A review. SSM Population Health, 2, 373-381.