Are self-consciousness and mindfulness altered by aging?
- elderly, meditation, mind, soul, awareness
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
It is well known that aging is the process of becoming older. It is also associated normally with a progressive loss of biological functions – both physical and mental –, underlied by naturally-occurring changes at the molecular level that may lead to the development of so-called aging-related health problems – e.g., Parkinson’s Disease, dementia, memory loss, cerebrovascular problems and Alzheimer’s Disease. Along this idea, a fundamental question remains – are self-consciousness and mindfulness also affected by these physiological or pathophysiological changes? This short article summarizes briefly some of the key sementic, conceptual, methodological and physiological issues that shall be addressed prior to tentatively providing answers to comparable questions.
2. Armstrong, D. 1981. “What is consciousness?” In The Nature of Mind. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
3. Carruthers, P. 2000. Phenomenal Consciousness. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
4. Encyclopedia Britannica. Science & Technology : Consciousness.
5. Evans DR, Eisenlohr-Moul TA, Button DF, Baer RA, Segerstrom SC. Self-Regulatory Deficits Associated with Unpracticed Mindfulness Strategies for Coping with Acute Pain. J Appl Soc Psychol. 2014;44: 23-30.
6. Kabat-Zinn J. Bringing mindfulness to medicine: an interview with Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD. Interview by Karolyn Gazella. Adv. Mind Body Med. 2005; 21 : 22–27.
7. Velmans M. How to define consciousness – and how not to define consciousness. Journal of consciousness studies 2009; 16 : 139-156.
8. Crick, F. and Koch, C. Toward a neurobiological theory of consciousness. Seminars in Neuroscience. 1990; 2: 263–75.
9. Alan Blum « A bedside conversation with Wilder Penfield » CMAJ . 2011;183.
10. Llinas, R. 2001. I of the vortex: from neurons to self. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
11. Edelman, G. 1989. The Remembered Present: A Biological Theory of Consciousness. New York: Basic Books
12. Gray, J. “The contents of consciousness: a neuropsychological conjecture”. Behavior and Brain Sciences, 1995;18: 659–722
13. Damasio, A. 1999. The Feeling of What Happens: Body and Emotion in the Making of Consciousness. New York: Harcourt
14. Greenfield S. The human brain. A guided tour. London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson; 1997.
15. Loe H, Rognmo O, Salin B, Wisloff U. Aerobiv capacity reference data in 3816 healthy men and women 20-90 years. PloS ONE. 2013; 8 : e64319.
16. Peters R. 2006. Ageing and the brain. Postgrad Med J; 82 : 84-88.
17. Craik, F.; Salthouse, T. (2000). The Handbook of Aging and Cognition (2nd ed.). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum. ISBN 0-8058-2966-0.
18. Ziegler MG. Syncope and faintness in the elderly. F. Messerly (eds), in cardiovascular disease in the elderly. 1984, pp.109-125.
19. Michael M. Schartner,, Robin L. Carhart-Harris,, Adam B. Barrett,, Anil K. Seth & Suresh D. Muthukumaraswamy. Increased spontaneous MEG signal diversity for psychoactive doses of ketamine, LSD and psilocybin. Scientific Reports 2017; 7 : 46421.
20. Corazzol M, Lio G, Lefevre A, Deiana G, Tell L, André-Obadia N, Bourdillon P, Guenot M, Desmurget M, Luauté J, Sirigu A Restoring consciousness with vagus.nerve stimulation. Curr Biol. 2017; 27:R994-R996.
21. Marciniak R, Sheardova K, Cermáková P, Hudeček D, Sumec R, Hort J. Effect of meditation on cognitive functions in context of aging and neurodegenerative diseases. Front Behav Neurosci. 2014; 8:17.
22. Lao SA, Kissane D, Meadows G.Conscious Cognitive effects of MBSR/MBCT: A systematic review of neuropsychological outcomes.Cogn. 2016; 45:109-123.
23. Pagnoni G., Cekic M. Age effects on gray matter volume and attentional performance in Zen meditation. Neurobiol. Aging 2007j; 28, 1623–1627.
24. Alexander CN, Langer EJ, Newman RI, Chandler HM, Davies JL. Transcendental meditation, mindfulness, and longevity: an experimental study with the elderly. J Pers Soc Psychol. 1989; 57:950-64.
25. Upadhyay RK. Emerging risk biomarkers in cardiovascular diseases and disorders. J Lipids. 2015; 971453.
26. Calabrò RS, Cacciola A, Bramanti P, Milardi D. Neural correlates of consciousness: what we know and what we have to learn! Neurol Sci. 2015; 36: 505-13.
27. Acevedo BP, Pospos S, Lavretsky H. The Neural Mechanisms of Meditative Practices: Novel Approaches for Healthy Aging. Curr Behav Neurosci Rep. 2016; 3: 328-339.