Use and preventive value of metformin in geriatric women with polycystic ovary syndrome
- Metformin, Geriatrics, Syndrome, Ovaries, Polycystic
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Objective: To establish the effects of long-term use and preventive value of metformin in geriatric women with PCOS.
Methods: A search of published review articles was carried out in sites such as NCBI, ScienceDirect, Elsevier, Springer, Wolters Kluwer, among others, using the key words: “polycystic ovary syndrome”, “PCOS”, “Polycystic ovary syndrome and metformin”, “effects of metformin and PCOS“,” insulin resistance and metformin “and” long-term sequelae of polycystic ovarian syndrome“.
Results: We retrospectively analyzed data specific to the randomized clinical trial of Pedersen et al. 2017, to determine the impact that treatment had for twelve months with metformin in three specific variables: weight, total cholesterol and HDL. The study was conducted in 40 Caucasian women from 18 to 39 years of age, with a fixed dose of metformin (2 g / day for 12 months), who met the Rotterdam criteria for PCOS in their genetic variant MATE1 with SOP7.
Conclusions: It was confirmed that the establishment of twelve-month treatment with metformin in the randomized clinical trial of Pedersen et al. 2017 had a significant effect on the three specific variables: weight, total cholesterol and HDL.
- Lashen H. Role of metformin in the management of polycystic ovary syndrome. 2010: 117-28.
- Imthurn B, Mueck AO, Ortmann O. Metformin und das Syndrom der polyzystischen Ovarien. Gynäkologische Endokrinol. 2018; 16: 191-4.
- Nature S, Medizin I. Das Syndrom polyzystischer Ovarien und Metformin. 2018; (September 2017): 10-13.
- Andrade MA, Arana GG, Barriga R.N. Metformin as the basis for the treatment of polycystic ovarian syndrome MedPre. (April): 15-21.
- Rosenblum J. EL. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome .; 2017
- Pedersen AJT, Stage TB, Glintborg D, Andersen M, Marie M, Christensen H. The Pharmacogenetics of Metformin in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: A Randomized Trial. 2018: 239-44.
- Johnson NP. Metformin use in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Ann Transl Med. 2014; 2 (6): 56.
- Macut D. Insulin and polycystic ovary syndrome. 2017
- Ou H, Chen P, Wu M, Lin C. Metformin improved health-related quality of life in ethnic Chinese women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2016: 1-10.
- F.-F. Wang, Y. Wu, Y.-H. Zhu, T. Ding, R. L. Batterham, F. Qu and PJH. Pharmacologic therapy to induce weight loss in women who have obesity / overweight with polycystic ovary syndrome: a systematic review and network. Obes Rev. 2018; (October): 1424-45.
- Sam S, Ehrmann DA. Metformin therapy for the reproductive and metabolic consequences of polycystic ovary syndrome. Diabetology 2017; 60: 1656-61.
- Diamanti E, Economou F, First CC, Diamanti E. Abstract Introduction Mechanisms of action of metformin in different. 2010; 1205 (1).
- Zhang Y, Hu M, Meng F, et al. EBioMedicine Metformin Ameliorates Uterine Defects in a Rat Model of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. EBioMedicine. 2017; 18: 157-70.
- Diamanti-kandarakis E, Economou F, Palimeri S. Metformin in polycystic ovary syndrome. 2010; 1205: 192-8.
- Luque-ramírez M, Nattero-chávez L, Flores AEO, Escobar-morreale HF. Combined oral contraceptives and / or antiandrogens versus insulin sensitizers for polycystic ovary syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hum Reprod Update. 2018; 24 (2): 225-41.