Play therapy as a diagnostic tool in rural families in Mexico
- Play therapy; Family dynamics; Research tools
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The role of play therapy as a research tool is examined after its use in a project directed to study family with at least one migrant member in deprived rural contexts in Mexico. Eighteen families were approached throughout home visits as part of social support services. Videos of the interaction with family members by using play therapy techniques were analyzed with the purpose to establish its advantages and limitations to collect information about the family dynamics. It was found that play therapy is an effective research tool in family studies, since this is a non-intrusive way to elicit feelings, spontaneous behaviors, and change in the family dynamics. Some of the advantages and limitations of this technique are further discussed eliciting practical guidelines for its use.
- Creswell, J. (2009). Reserch desing. Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches. Nebraska: Sage.
- Esquivel, F. (2010). Psicoterapia infantil con juego: Casos clínicos. Ciudad de México: Manual Moderno.
- Esquivel, F., Heredia, C., & Lucio, E. (2017). Psicodiagnóstico clínico del niño. Ciudad de México: Manual Moderno.
- Fernández-Ballesteros, R. (2013). Evaluación psicológica. Conceptos, métodos y estudios de caso. Madrid: Ediciones Pirámide.
- Ferro, R., & Ascanio, L. (2014). Terapia de inter-acción padres-hijos. Revista Papeles del Psicólogo, 35(3), 169-180.
- Gil, E. (2015). Play in family therapy. New York: Guilford Publications.
- Glazer, H., & Stein, D. (2010). Qualitative research and its role in play therapy research. International Journal of Play Therapy, 19(1), 54 – 61.
- Lewis, A., Brahnam, S., & Jain, L. (2014). Tech-nologies of inclusive well-being, serious games, alternative realities and play therapy. Springfield: Springer.
- Lucio, E., & Heredia, C. (2014). Psicopatolo-gia,riesgo y tratamiento de los problemas infan-tiles. Ciudad de México: Manual Moderno.
- Miles, M., & Huberman, M. (1994). An expanded sourcebook qualitative data analysis. London: Sage Publications.
- Moustakas, C. (1994). Phenomenological reserch methods. California: Sage Publications.
- O´Connor, K., Schaefer, C., & Braverman, L. (2015). Handbook of play therapy. New Jersey: Wiley.
- O´Connor, K., Schaefer, C., & Braverman, L. (2016). Manual de terapia de juego. Ciudad de México: Manual Moderno.