Two-year Single-Center Real-Life Data of Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate Treatment for Chronic Hepatitis B Patients in Togo
- Hepatitis B, biology, treatment, tenofovir, Togo
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Objective: to evaluate the treatment efficacy of Tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF) in patients with chronic hepatitis B (CHB) in the Teaching hospital campus of Lome.
Patients and method: retrospective cross-sectional study, conducted in the outpatient department of the Hepato-Gastro-Enterology department of the Teaching hospital campus of Lome from January 2018 and December 2020. Patients with HBsAg were included. Outpatient patients having achieved at least HBeAg, anti-HBe antibody, anti-HCV antibody, anti-HBc IgG; viral load hepatic assessment; retroviral serology. Some patients had achieved actitest-fibrotest. Patients with abdominal pain, clinical signs of portal hypertension or hepatocellular insufficiency had achieved alphafetoprotein, protidogram, and abdominal ultrasound. These explorations made it possible to classify patients into different virological profiles.
Results: More than sixty-four percent of the patients were male. The patients were asymptomatic at 97.37%. HBeAg was positive in 15.19% of patients. The viral load was detectable in 80.43% of cases with a value of 52000000 IU / ml +/- 280000000UI / ml. Ninety-five point twenty-four patients had an inflammatory activity less than 2 and 52.38% a fibrosis greater than 2 on the Metavir grid. The APRI and Fib-4 scores found a strong predictive value for fibrosis in 16.22% and 11.01% of cases, respectively. HBeAg negative chronic hepatitis was the most common virologic profile (58%). Cirrhosis was the most common complication (9.97%). Tenofovir was the therapeutic molecule used. At 12 months of treatment, HBe seroconversion was noted in 100% of cases, an undetectable viral load in 50% of cases and normalization of the hepatic balance in 84% of cases. No side effects of the treatment were reported
Conclusion: TDF treatment shows high rate of complete virologic response in CHB patients. TDF is tolerable and safe during the 96 weeks of treatment period. Monitoring of HBV DNA level and drug adherence is important for achieving complete suppression of HBV DNA, particularly in patients with high viral load.
- World Health Organization – Hepatitis B vaccines. Weekly Epidemiological Record 2009; 40: 405-420
- Kramvis A, Kew M, 2007. Epidemiology of hepa-titis B virus in Africa, its genotypes and clinical associations of genotypes. Hepatol Res 37 (Suppl 1): 9–19
- Hou J, Liu Z, Gu F, 2005. Epidemiology and pre-
- a. vention of hepatitis B virus infection. Int J Med Sci 2: 50–57.
- WHO, 2014. Hepatitis B. Available at: http://www who.inf/inf-s/en/fact204.html. Accessed July 28, 2013.
- Ganem D, Prince AM, 2004. Hepatitis B virus in-fection—natural history and clinical conse-quences. N Engl J Med 350: 1118–1129.
- Lavanchy D. Hepatitis B virus epidemiology, di-sease burden, treatment, and current and emer-ging prevention and control measure. J Viral Hepat 2004; 11: 97-107
- Agbenu E BA, Kolou M, D’Almeida A, Kpotsra A, Dorkenoo A, Redah D. Marqueurs sérologiques utilisés dans la surveillance de l’infection par le virus de l’hépatite B au Togo : état des lieux et propositions. Med Trop. 2008;68:621-4
- Lavanchy D. Hepatitis B virus epidemiology, di-sease burden, treatment, and current and emer-ging prevention and control mea¬sures. J Viral Hepat 2004; 11: 97-107.
- Zarski JP, Marcellin P, Leroy V, Trepo C, Samuel D, Ganne N, et al. Characteristics of patients with chronic hepatitis B in France: Predominant fre-quency of HBeAg-negative cases. J Hepatol 2006;45:355-60.
- Olayinka A T, Oyemakinde A, Balogun MS, Ajudua A, Nguku P, Aderinola M, Egwue-nu-Oladejo A, Ajisegiri SW, Sha’aibu S, Musa BOP, Gidado S, Nasidi A. Seroprevalence of Hepatitis B Infection in Nigeria: A National Survey. American Journal of Tropical Medi-cine and Hygiene. 2016;95(4) 902–907.
- Zampino R, Boemio A, Sagnelli C, Alessio L, Adinolfi LE, Sagnelli E, Coppola N. Hepatitis B virus burden in developing countries. World J Gastroenterol 2015; 21(42): 11941-11953
- Hoofnagle JH, Dusheiko GM, Seeff LB, Jones EA, Waggoner JG, Bales ZB. Seroconversion from hepatitis B e antigen to antibody in chronic type B hepatitis. Ann Intern Med 1981;94:744-8.
- Sànchez-Tapias JM, Vilar JH, Costa J, Bruguera M, Ballesta AM, Ròdes J.Natural history of chro-nic persistent hepatitis B. Relationship between hepatitis B virus replication and the course of the disease. J Hepatol 1985;1:15-27
- Fattovich G, Rugge M, Brollo L, Pontisso P, Noventa F, Guido M, et al. Clinical, virologic and histologic outcome following seroconversion from HBeAg to anti-HBe in chronic hepatitis type B. Hepatology 1986;6:167-72.
- Lampertico P, Del Ninoo F, Manzin A, Donato MF, Rumi MG, Lunghi G, et al. A randomized con-trolled trial of a 24-month course of interferon alpha 2b in patients with chronic hepatitis B who had hepatitis B virus DNA without hepatitis B e antigen in serum. Hepatology 1997;26:1621-5.
- Tassopoulos NC, Volpes R, Pastore G, Heathcote J, Buti M, Goldin RD, et al. Efficacy of lamivudine in patients with hepatitis B e anti-gen-negative/hepatitis B virus DNA-positive (precore mutant) chronichepatitis B. Hepatology 1999; 29:889-96.
- Alam S, Ahmad N, Mustafa G, Alam K, Khan M. Characteristics of treatment naive chronic hepati-tis B in Bangladesh: younger populations are more affected; HBeAg-negatives are more ad-vanced. Saudi J Gastroenterol. 2008;14:15–19
- Mommega-Marin H, Mondon E, Bium MR, Rousseau F. Serum HBV DNA as a marker of ef-ficacy during therapy for chronic HBV infection: Analysis and review of the literature. Hepatology 2003;37:1309-19.
- Kwon SY, Yeon JE, Yoo YJ, Yu HM, Son I, Kim JH, Choe WH. Efficacy and Safety of Tenofovir Disoproxil Furmarate for Patients with Lami-vudine-Resistant Hepatitis B Virus Infection. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology Research 2016; 5(5): 2180-2184
- Bae SH, Yoon SK, Jang JW, Kim CW, Nam SW, Choi JY, Kim BS, Park YM, Suzuki S, Sugauchi F, Mizokami M. Hepatitis B virus genotype C revails among chronic carriers of the virus in Korea. J Korean Med Sci. 2005; 20: 816-820.
- Yang DH, Xie YJ, Zhao NF, Pan HY, Li MW, Huang HJ. Tenofo¬vir disoproxil fumarate is su-perior to lamivudine plus adefovir in lami-vudine-resistant chronic hepatitis B patients. World J Gastro¬enterol. 2015; 21: 2746-2753.
- Fung S, Kwan P, Fabri M, Horban A, Pelemis M, Hann HW, Gurel S, Caruntu FA, Flaherty JF, Massetto B, Dinh P, Corsa A, Sub¬ramanian GM, McHutchison JG, Husa P, Gane E. Randomized comparison of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate vs emtricitabine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate in patients with lamivudine-resistant chronic hepatitis B. Gastroenterology. 2014; 146: 980-988.
- Cho H, Cho Y, Cho EJ, Lee JH, Yu SJ, Oh KH, Lee K, Mustika S, Yoon JH, Kim YJ.Tenofovir-associated nephrotoxicity in pa-tients with chronic hepatitis B: two cases. Clin Mol Hepatol. 2016; 22: 286-291.